July 20, 1985
Marmot, Black Diamond, Backcountry.com, Kaenon, Aspen/Snowmass, Scarpa
First descents down Denali, victories in alpine freeskiing contests, big lines in ski movies, appearances in ski magazines, high results in endurance races and yoga teaching certifications make up just a fraction of Nick Devore’s impressive resume. Recognized as one of the worlds most progressive telemark skiers, DeVore shatters telemark stereo-types and continues to diminish the gap between alpine and freeheel skiing.
Nick lives in a tepee in his birthplace of Aspen and embraces native wisdom. His main goal is to take care of our mother earth, not using her as a resource but treating her as a gracious host. When DeVore’s not skiing he is mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking, practicing yoga, and organically growing vegetables. He hopes to use his skiing talent to bring environmental awareness to the skiing world and beyond. He believes in the Hopi way of life, to blend with the earth and celebrate life.
Nature, Mountains, Seasons, Snow, Waves, Yoga, Music, Dancing, The Perfect Line.
Skiing a fresh big mountain line makes me really happy. So does practicing yoga and letting loose and dancing to a great show.
Burritos, local vegetables.
• 11th place, Snowbird Freeskiing Nationals (2009)
• Telemark Freeskiing Wrold Champion, Alaska (2008)
• 6th Place, Jackson Hole Freeskiing Open (2008)
• 18th Place, Snowbird Freeskiing Nationals (2007)
• 7th Place, Elk Mountain Grand Traverse (2007)
• Out Door Idol Award (2007)
• Descents of most of Denali (June 2007)
• Two first-descents down Denali (June 2007)
• Ski decent of Denali (May 2006)
• Climbed and Skied 24 of Colorado 14ers (2006)
• 6th Place, Snowbird World Tour Qualifier 2006 (Utah, CO)
• 2nd Place, Alpine Meadows Tele Freeskiing Comp. 2006 (Alpine Meadows, CA)
• Champion, Colorado Freeride Series 2005 (Snowmass, CO) (1st, 1st, 4th)
• 2nd Place, US Tele Freeskiing Championships 2004 (Crested Butte, CO)
• 4th Place, US Tele Freeskiing Championships 2003 (Crested Butte, CO)
• 2nd Place, US Telecross Championships 2003 (Crested Butte, CO
• U.S. Youth Climbing Team (2000-2001)
• 1st Place, Coup de Mond de Escalade 2000, Chamonix, France
• Climbed many 5.13s
FILMS and PRESS
• Sweetgrass Productions 08 and 09
• “PW09,” Powder Whore Productions
• “PW08, The Pact, Powder whore productions
• "PW07," Powder Whore Productions
• NEPSA Awards Film
• Powder Magazine Bio and photos
• Outside Magazine Interview
• Skiing Magazine, two page spread
• Telemark Skier, Bio and 3 photos
• "Ski the 14ers," with Chris Davenport (film and book)
• "Mountain Town," Aspen Skiing Company and Rattle Can Production
• "PWO6," Powder Whores Productions
Well, I'm a skier. And I like Alaska.
Theres so many good books. The one straw revolution, Autobiography of a Yogi, Celestine Prophecy.
Anything that gets me dancing, jam bands, bluegrass, reggae, phsytrance. Right now I am really loving STS9.
Forgetting how to ski. Not realizing my full potential.
Broken elbow, collar bone, wrist and ankle.
Having to stop in the middle of a line, a.d.d dj's, driving.
To live locally and raise all my own food. I am going to grow avacados and tropical fruit trees in my greenhouse at 8000 ft in the Elk Mountains. Explore and ski by backyard, the Elk Mountains. Ski some big peaks around the world.
I like to sweat and scare myself everyday.